Friday, October 10, 2014

DIY Cardmaking- Faking Your Way Through Calligraphy


Lately, I've been practicing a technique that looks like calligraphy. Inspired by Cupcakes & Cashmere, I made a card for my sister's birthday using the trick. It's simple- write out a word (like above) and then go over again with the pen any downward strokes you made when writing the word. Leave any upward strokes you made the way they are. After some practice, the effect looks great. When receiving my card in this envelope with her name on it, my sister first thought that it was printed. A pretty swell compliment since I have never taken a calligraphy class.

If you're interested in what I got my sister for her birthday, check out my latest post.



You Will Need:

  • blank card
  • fountain pen
  • 2 buttons (preferably different colors)
  • glue


Write out the message you want on the front of the card.

Go over all of the downward strokes you made carefully.

Place your 2 buttons where you would like them on the card. We're making birthday balloons, so place them near each other.

Place a dab of glue under each button. Be careful not to use too much.

Draw the strings for the balloons. Write a message inside the card and you're done! The B on the card didn't quite turn out how I would like, but the other letters look nice and the overall effect is good. Remember, it gets better with practice! I'm already much better at this faux calligraphy than I was when I worked on this card.

Have you heard of this technique before? Let me know how it goes if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment