Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Favorite Beauty Gurus on YouTube


During my Christmas break several years ago when I was a sophomore in college, I discovered the beauty community on YouTube. I was stuck in my bedroom, extremely bored, and I went on YouTube to find instructions on how to create a waterfall braid. I found a youtuber, who I'll talk more about later, who had a channel with video after video of hair and makeup tutorials. To my excitement, I searched and found many other channels with similar content.

Now it's several years later, and there are many girls with channels on YouTube that have a huge fan base and some have turned YouTube into their full-time job. Seventeen magazine recently came out with a special issue that highlighted YouTube stars, featuring Bethany Mota on the front cover. With many of these "beauty gurus" becoming increasingly popular, I thought that I would list my top 10 favorite girls to watch! I know that I'm going to leave out some great people, but these are just my personal favorites, whose videos I get super excited about watching! They are listed in no particular order.




Sisters Stefanie and Tracy of eleventhgorgeous from Alabama show you how they look beautiful with affordable beauty products (usually from the drugstore). They do their makeup in real time as they talk about products and have fun joking around with each other. While they mainly do beauty videos, they also done a fair amount of hair and fashion videos as well. Some of their best ones are when they unbox subscription boxes like Birchbox and Ipsy and compare them.



Estée of essiebutton is a Canadian living in England who has a passion for makeup, skincare, and fashion. She has a sweet and likable personality that draws you in and her knowledge about great skincare and makeup products will make you stay. She also has a cool, minimalistic sense of style that is refreshing. She also has a great beauty blog!



Meghan of meghanrosette is an actress in LA and she was the first beauty guru I ever found! I searched for a braid tutorial, and found this hilarious, fun, beautiful girl who was just a year younger than me! Being a subscriber after all of this time, she honestly feels like a friend. I love her fashion videos since we have similar styles, and her Monthly Favorites and Get Ready With Me videos are some of her best.



Kayley Melissa of LetsMakeitUp1 is a girl with some great hair and my most recent find on YouTube. Her channel is full of hair tutorials, most of them braids, that look more complicated than they actually are. Girls with hair on the thinner side will appreciate her, since she teaches you tips and tricks on how to get your hair to appear more voluminous.



Ingrid of missglamorazzi is a full-time youtuber who recently moved from LA to New York for a while just so she could be creative and experience life in a new city. She has great beauty, fashion, and easy healthy food videos. She has the cutest girly style and an endearing dorky sense of humor. Girls with oily skin can rejoice, because she tells you what makeup and skincare works for her own oily complexion.



Jenny of MissJenFABULOUS went to art school before becoming a cosmetologist. If you love painting your nails, she will rock your world! She has many nail art tutorials, some of which are for beginners and others that are holiday themed. They are all creative and many of them are less complicated to create than they look. She also does reviews of new polish collections from Essie and OPI.



Nikki of NikkiPhillippi is a former dancer in California who makes videos about fashion, makeup, food, and healthy living. She is happy, outgoing, and has a genuine heart for helping others. She also has an advice channel as well as a vlog channel that I watch. She has a great philosophy on life and is another youtuber who will feel like your friend.



Rachel of RachhLoves is a new mom in Canada who makes lovely beauty, fashion, and lifestyle videos. Her relatable personality and good sense of humor add to her great content. She is another girl who likes a bargain and has a cute, classic style. I trust her recommendations on products since we both have finer hair and a similar skin tone.



Rachel of icallitambrosia is a recent college grad who just moved to Seattle and is someone I found fairly early on as well. She and I are the same age, so it was fun to go through important things in my life, like graduation, and watch her doing the same as well. She is the funniest girl on this list, with blunt reviews on makeup, skincare, and lifestyle items (watch her monthly Hits & Shits videos). The only drawback would be if you don't like cursing, because you'll find it on her channel. I find her candid personality fun and refreshing. She is someone whose reviews and opinions I trust implicitly.



Tess of Tesschristine123 is sweet girl who has great style. She's been doing beauty and fashion videos for years. Her style is a mix of classic, girly, and fun without being too over-the-top. The ones to watch are her Get The Look videos, where she puts a lot of work into finding the exact same or similar pieces that a character or celebrity wears. Want to get fashion pieces worn by Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl, and Vampire Diaries characters? she has videos on how to get looks for all of them!



Honorable Mentions: FleurDeForceemilynoel83amarixe


There you have it! These are my 10 most favorite beauty gurus! Now, of course, there are so many more so don't think that I forgot anyone! I was so torn that I had to throw in 3 honorable mentions. There just are so many great girls out there on YouTube giving advice that I encourage you to check these girls out but also look around and find your own favorites. 

I'd love to know, do you watch beauty videos on YouTube? What kinds of channels do you subscribe to? Do you disagree with my choices or did I leave out one of your favorites? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment