Friday, September 5, 2014

Top 10 Movies on Netflix

I've seen a number of these lists floating around, detailing which movies on Netflix are the best. As a huge fan of film myself, I couldn't resist making my own Top 10 list. I tried to pull movies from different genres to have some range. My list is in no particular order.

1. Drinking Buddies

A refreshing and realistic movie about two friends who work at a brewery and have more chemistry between themselves than they have with their significant others. Much of the dialogue was improvised by Anna Kendrick, Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson(New Girl), and Ron Livingston. Olivia Wilde recently stated that this was the first movie she did that she was truly proud of and excited to see. I've gone back to watch this movie again and again, and I can't decide if it's for the plot or the moment in the movie where the song Tonight by Sibylle Baier plays.

2. Cabin in the Woods

I'm not huge horror movie person, but I gave this one a shot because it's co-written by Joss Whedon. I love the way it tips its hat and pokes fun of the horror movie genre. The end is unexpected and pretty great. This is one horror movie that I continue to watch. Also, it has Chris Helmsworth.

3. Pulp Fiction

This movie showed me the brilliance that is Quentin Tarantino. It's an intense, funny, and fascinating movie that everyone should see at least once. Samuel L. Jackson's reading of the Ezekiel passage gets me every time. Tarantino's own scene in the film is one of the funniest parts. I should also give an honorable mention to Kill Bill here, since I decided to only choose only one Tarantino film for this list.

4. Memento

This thriller goes backwards in time, tracing the steps of a man seeking to avenge his murdered wife. He tattoos clues to his skin so he doesn't lose them because of his amnesia. I love an unexpected twist at the end of movies and this one blew my mind.

5. The Graduate

This is a classic that I heard about for years. I was prompted to watch it after I saw Zooey Deschanel's reaction to the ending of this movie in 500 Days of Summer (one of my favorite movies). The last minute of the movie is the most powerful. The Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack is a big factor since it gives a beautiful, haunting feel to the movie. I recently watched this movie again, and The Sound of Silence was stuck in my head for days.

6. Ghostbusters

Just a fun movie. It has the best theme song ever. Action, suspense, and comedy are all rolled into one here. My love for Bill Murray grows every time I watch it. Who you gonna call?

7. Stuck in Love

I chose this for my romantic comedy pick. Similar to Drinking Buddies, this is a gem that I only found through Netflix. A great cast (Greg Kinnear, Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Lily Collins) with a story that centers around writing, stories, and love. The great soundtrack in this movie led me to the song Gospel by The National.

8. The Avengers


This is a movie that everyone loves and is well-known. Once again, Joss Whedon for the win! Whedon looked at all of the Marvel movies then wrote and directed a movie that gave each superhero growth and a chance to shine. He also put in the perfect amount of humor to this action flick. I'm beyond excited for the next Avengers movie coming out next year.

9. 12 Angry Men

I'm not a person who loves watching black and white movies, but this one is superb. Based on the play and starring Henry Fonda, it takes you behind closed doors as a jury deliberates on a murder case where a young man is accused of killing his father. Issues of race, corrupt youth, and prejudice are all brought to light. Even though you only get one glimpse of the defendant's face at the beginning, it stays with you throughout the film.

10. Donnie Darko

This movie is quite the masterpiece. After Donnie's bedroom is destroyed by wreckage from a plane, then time and space begin to unravel. He is compelled to do whatever a man named Frank in a rabbit suit tells him. The ending is amazing and poetic. Favorite Quote-  Donnie: "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?" Frank: "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"


What do you think of my list? Have you seen most of these movies? Have I left off ones that should definitely be on there? There were other great films like Skyfall and Ever After that almost made the list. Tell me your top Netflix picks!

No comments:

Post a Comment