Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Zucchini Bites: 2 Ways

Zucchini is something I've been eating a lot of lately. There are so many different ways to prepare the vegetable and with such different flavors. Sometimes I'll toss it chopped up into some pasta. Other times I'll just eat raw slices with hummus. This week for lunch and also snacks, I experimented with different ways to make zucchini bites, and I found 2 recipes that I enjoyed.

1- Zucchini Fries

Ingredients:

  • 1-2 zucchinis
  • flour
  • 2 egg whites
  • Panko bread crumbs (I used Italian but any flavor works)






Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Chop zucchini into wedges.
  • Place some flour (approx 1/2 cup) into a bowl, next to a bowl with 2 egg whites, and a bowl with some bread crumbs.
  • Roll each wedge into the 3 mixtures, starting with the flour, then egg whites, then the bread crumbs (Tip: easiest way to coat the wedge with bread crumbs is to place it in the bowl and then shake the crumbs on top of it).
  • Place the wedges on a cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes or until they look golden brown.


They should turn out looking somewhat like this. Don't worry if each wedge isn't entirely coated in breadcrumbs, it still tastes delicious. I've had these for lunch several times and they're so filling! I even dip them in ketchup and I imagine any other sauce would taste great with them as well.


2- Oven-Roasted Zucchini Wedges

Ingredients:

  • 1 Zucchini
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Garlic powder




Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Cut the zucchini into 4 wedges.
  • In a bowl, stir some olive oil onto the wedges (not too much, enough to lightly coat them).
  • Place wedges on a cookie sheet.
  • Sprinkle salt, pepper, parmesan, and a little garlic powder onto each piece.
  • Bake for 15 minutes.


The result is this savory side dish that you could serve with dinner, with each person getting 1 or 2 wedges. These recipes are incredibly easy and so far I haven't gotten tired of zucchini yet.

What's your favorite way to eat zucchini? Have you tried making it like this before? Let me know if you make these and what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment