Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Good Ones

Everybody Loves Raymond was a show that my family used to watch sporadically throughout my childhood and teen years. Some episodes were too full of family members insulting each other, but then there were also episodes that had me laughing until my sides ached. Today, I thought about the 2-part episode in which Robert marries Amy and his mother Marie objects at the wedding, ruining the whole event. At the reception, Ray somehow fixes everything in his best man speech by urging them all to put aside these bad memories and to remember "only the good ones."

Halfway through the week, I caught a cold that I'm still currently trying to fight off. It's difficult not to think negatively when I'm feeling so poorly since I'm constantly drinking hot tea and using an infinite number of tissues. But today I felt compelled to take Ray's advice and remember my "good ones" of the past week. Sometimes when I stop focusing on what's currently wrong in my life, I'm able to see all of the amazing things around me, big or small.

Finally tried the Oprah Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks. It's so tasty! I think that it'll be particularly heart-warming in the colder months of the year, but I'd drink it anytime and I highly recommend it. Also, it's Oprah.

I dog sat for a family last week and absolutely loved it. This is my main man Parker, a beagle mix. He's sweet and incredibly energetic.

I've never been one to eat a heavy breakfast, so having a bowlful of blackberries and strawberries this week really hit the spot.

I got free henna done at the Ten Thousand Villages Eid Extravaganza this weekend. I love the flower design I picked! A friend of mine told me to rub lemon juice and sugar on it before it peels (which I did after some had peeled, so the finger is darker than the rest). She told me that at traditional Indian weddings they have a saying: the redder your henna is, the more your mother-in-law will love you.

I picked up this card at Paper Source for my parents' 29th anniversary. They both wear glasses, and thought the card was cute. My mom even said she'd put it in their anniversary scrapbook. It makes me feel like it was worth it to drive out of my way to the store, walk through crowds once I parked, and then have the staff hunt for the card when I couldn't find it, all while I was feeling extremely sick.

Looking back on some of these good bits of my week, I'd say it wasn't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment