Sunday, March 30, 2014

Semi-Vegetarian

The biggest change I've made for myself was becoming a vegetarian at the beginning of 2014.  Well, semi-vegetarian I call it since I still eat seafood (a way to placate my fear of not getting enough protein).  My decision to become a vegetarian was something I had been thinking over for several months.  The overwhelming reason for it was so that I could be healthier.  The absence of red meat and chicken have helped me to stop eating cheeseburgers and to start eating more greens.

As a result I'm eating in more often and I'd love to share my two favorite things to make: brussels sprouts and fruit smoothies.


My favorite vegetable dish:
I've always been told that brussels sprouts are the most disgusting food.  You might think so.  But have you ever roasted them?  Roasting brussels sprouts has become my favorite meal.

Here are the Ingredients:
1 bag brussels sprouts
canola oil
salt
pepper
6 Tbsp mayo
1 Tbsp parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
1 crushed clove of garlic

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the brussels sprouts into quarters, place them on a baking sheet then sprinkle on the canola oil with the salt and pepper.  Put them in the oven for 15 minutes.  For the dipping sauce, mix together mayo, parsley, lemon juice, and garlic.


My favorite smoothie:
I've recently started using my blender more frequently.  Making delicious healthy smoothies is so much easier than I ever thought.  I take 1 cup of frozen fruit, for this one I used a mix of mango, papaya, and strawberries.  Occasionally I add vanilla or greek yogurt but usually I add 1 cup of coconut water.  The smoothie is sweeter and thinner with coconut water compared to yogurt.  I also add baby spinach to get some healthy greens, which is great because I can't even taste it once everything is blended together.

Here's the Ingredients:
1 cup frozen fruit
handful of baby spinach
1 cup coconut water or yogurt

This decision to change my eating habits has made me feel better each day and given me more energy.  I never knew how delicious fruits and vegetables could be until this year.  It's a change that I don't bring up often or try to push onto those that I meet, but if you're considering it, I believe it is something worthwhile to try.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first post! Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete